Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shoes, handbags, designer coats, oh my!

After the frenzied car ride yesterday, once I arrived at my errands location I decided that I would finally tackle Filene's Basement. FB is a store that has anywhere from J.Crew to Prada (yes, I saw Prada, yay!) clothes, handbags, shoes, etc. and its all "discounted". My mom and sister fell in love with this store when they visited Boston and I've heard only good things about it so you can imagine how much I freaked out when I saw that one was just 5 minutes away from my new house!! However it is a very large store and for you ladies who get overwhelmed, you may not be able to experience all that is Filene's, but lucky for me I was blessed with discount, warehouse shopping genes. Yes, I CAN be that woman the day after Thanksgiving yelling at people in the parking lot (its not my fault that they're dumb and can't park) or playing tug of war over a cashmere sweater at an unbeatable price (thanks Mom for passing those genes down). I've learned that they are hard to come by and I'm happy that I have them. So Filene's was nothing to get anxious over for me, I walked in took a breath of fresh retail air and dove right in! First of course, I was drawn (almost as if I were magnetized) to the handbag section. Crazy, I know. And you know how you feel when you first fall in love, in those first few months of puppy love...your heart just gets all fluttery and you have a big goofy smile? Well, that's me everytime I'm in a huge handbag or shoe section of a store. Do any of you ever get that way? I know I'm not the only one...Mom, Abby and Emily Nance you better be raising your hands right now, because I share a common love of retail with all of you. As I grazed over the handbags I found none that were in my budget, mind you I just bought a new bag mmm maybe 3 weeks ago and I don't even have a budget because my budget right now is for home repairs and groceries. Which is fine, I need limits :) So after I was mildly dissapointed at the handbag section (partially because I didn't have a lot of extra dough and the prices weren't low enough...no offense to Filene) I "made" myself go upstairs to the shoe section. Can we say a little piece of heaven, anyone?! It was so fun to be looking at all of the shoes and I came across a new love...I'll have to be honest when this type of shoes first came out I didn't like it at all, I was repulsed by it but its growing on me and now I kind of like them a lot (kind of how my relationship with Uggs developed) and I'll be looking for a reasonable priced pair. Here they are:



I may like this one more:


Ok, now some of you may think, "wow she's so crazy about clothes and retail" but I mean I got started young. I can't even tell you how many pairs of Sam & Libby's I had by the age of 5. (Thanks again Mom, I loved those shoes!) And now I have a reputation to keep up, I can't tell you how many friends I've helped with fashion advice and I mean, people look to me as somewhat of a fashion icon (haha ok, now I'm just trying to convince myself that I'm Sarah Jessica Parker). But seriously, I love shopping and since I went to college (having limited funds) I've learned how to be a great window shopper and a dreamer.

And the appropriate quote of the day for this post is from a Friends episode where Monica buys new boots and they are killing her feet:

Monica: They hurt so bad, I can't even feel my feet.
Rachel: You can feel your feet? Oh, I haven't felt mine in years.

6 comments:

Emily said...

yayyy! i can't wait to go to fb's! i laughed to myself because as i was reading about being in love in the store i was thinking, i know exactly what she means!hahhaha

Cis said...

You certainly did not get the shoe thing from me! Filenes sounds great though! Love you!

delores lail said...

Ok, so in the biz world they call your day at Filenes..." Out of the office attending a COST REDUCTION SEMINAR" aka "shoe sale shopping".

And you did look precious in those Sam & Libbys with 50+ hairbows to match each item in your wardrobe. Somehow I am sure as the other JK shrugs at how many purses you have, he is secretly thrilled that you outgrew the hairbow fettish.

Francesca said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I completly missed out on that fashion gene. I walk around expecting the fashionisto police to come up to me and ask "what were you thinking?"

Heather said...

This year I will humbly stand by your side amidst the other post-Turkey Day wackos and perform my duty as a fellow retail worshiper and sister-in-law. I look forward to our outing although I'm not sure I like the wake up time of 4 AM. By the way, your mom's comment was hilarious and those shoes you picked out are hideous. :)

delores lail said...

Ok Heather, I surrender my DAT (Day After Thanksgiving) shopping crown to you! Don't let Jessi fool you, she has gone shopping on DAT but NEVER did she arrive at the shopping center until after 10:00 am. (Cis is my witness)!!!! I will miss her soooo much this year, we always have a blast!!!