Saturday, September 13, 2008

Delicious dinner!

All my fellow chefs get ready for a delicious recipe! One of our wedding gifts was a Fix it and Forget it (lightly) Cookbook, its a great book. If you didn't catch it from the title, its a crock pot cookbook that has healthy, low fat recipes. My kinda cookbook! So as I was browsing through it and the grocery sale papers a few days ago I came across this recipe that looks really great. If you're someone who loves meat and potato meals or you cook for someone who enjoys them, this is a great one for you and when I read the recipe I envisioned eating the meal during a cold, snowy day. However it is warm, muggy, and off and on rain here in Pittsburgh but that didn't affect the taste. Alright, here it is:

Hamburg, Cabbage, & Potato Dinner

1 lb. extra-lean ground beef
6 medium potatoes, quartered
1 medium-sized head of cabbage, cut in chunks
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups water


1. Brown ground beef in nonstick skillet.
2. Layer in slow cooker potatoes, cabbage, and hamburger. Sprinkle seasonings over each layer.
3. Pour water over top.
4. Cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.

Makes 6-8 servings. Per serving: 250 calories, 6g total fat.

Here are my tips for it, stir it occasionally so that some cabbage and beef doesn't get over cooked if its resting on the edges. If you're cooking for 2 you may want to half the recipe because it makes a whole lot!

There have been a number of flies around our house today, but lucky me, I'm married to a man who has some odd gift at killing flies with one swat. Who ya gonna call, Ghostbusters...I mean, John Kelly!

1 comment:

delores lail said...

Sounds like dinner was good! Hope the cookies turned out well too!