Monday, September 15, 2008

another manic monday?

Hello blog lovers, I hope you're all doing well. There hasn't been a whole lot to post about (in the past day) and I've had a few concerned readers...ok my mom wanted to know why I hadn't posted, so here's to you Mom, you've inspired me to sit in our comfy office chair and send out my message to the world.

Ok as I had said, not much is going on here...we've just been, yep you guessed it...painting and fixing up the house, which I must admit gets pretty redundant and boring when that's all that is on the agenda all day, everyday. But I guess it pays off to know that I painted this hallway and did that trim and that bedroom (and yes the other JK has done a significant amount as well...his is more touch up paint and caulking and hammering, etc.). However, I managed to squeeze away from the lovely house work and go shopping, I mean errand running yesterday :) Target was first on my list and I browsed because I wanted to visually put a potential fall outfit together and they have such great dresses and skirts this fall! You should really go check them out. I think I found 5 dresses I want and 1 skirt, and I always need a new pair of jeans. I talked myself out of it until a little later, when its actually feeling like fall weather (and hopefully they'll be on sale by then). The shoe selection is ok, not so great...well they didn't have what I was looking for, but had a few other good choices. The one "luxury item" that I did buy was a new book, The Shack, which comes highly recommended by a few of our good friends. I'll fill you in later on what I think of it.

Today while I was painting I decided that I would post about a few things that I've discovered I liked in the past few days (or had a renewed appreciation for):

1. We watched Secondhand Lions the other night and it was such a great movie! I'm always up for a movie that's not filled with cursing, sex, etc. Its really a good movie, the story just kind of pulls you in, I almost started crying at one part (duh, because I'm such a movie-crier, I really am), so that's how you know its good. But its funny, sweet and pulls at your heartstrings. The only downfall is that Haley Joel Osment stars in it (I'm not big on kid stars, like HJO or Dakota Fanning) but he does a great job in his role (sorry Katie, I know this is a big let down to you, since we share the same loathing feeling towards child stars).

2. Take The Cake (American Idol inspired ice cream) by Edy's. Of course the other night I had a sweet tooth (lovingly inherited from the Lail side of the family) and the other JK did not, so I coaxed him into walking to the grocery store with me to find some ice cream. We looked and looked and could not decide among all the delicious flavors, should we really spend $4.39 on Ben & Jerry's? Or if we're spending that much should we go for Haagen Dazs? OR should we get a little more for the same price and get Edy's (which ofcourse is still good but is NOT B&J's or HD). So we went for Edy's (we're so economical) and decided on Slow Churned (1/2 the calories and 1/3 the fat, or the other way around...wahoo!) Take The Cake ice cream. And I'm telling ya what people, it lived up to the my needs. It was very delicious and we have definitely enjoyed eating it, its a must have! (at least try it!)

3. Coco Chanel, the movie. Lifetime had a great idea to make a movie about Coco Chanel, the incredible fashion designer, and what a great idea! I've been looking forward to this movie since this summer when they started advertising it, not only because its a movie about an infamous fashion guru but Shirley MacLaine was playing Coco! Hello, anyone! I loved her in Steel Magnolias (only the BEST movie of all time, and I'm willing to argue that point to my death) as Ouiser (pronounced Weeza) so of course I had to see her in this! Double the pleasure double the fun, anyone?! Ok, I'm getting too excited. But it was a GREAT movie. Even if you don't love fashion (its ok, I don't really understand you...but I will not judge you) you will love this movie, it is so inspiring and empowering, especially for women. After I watched it I went and painted trim and I was like "heck yeah I'm painting white trim in this room! and it looks darn good" (all cocky-like). What can I say, I get really excited and inspired by made for TV movies. Its great, watch it, I think it comes on again at 8pm tonight.

4. Homemade chocolate chip cookies. So wonderful! My stomach growls just at the mention of them. I was in domestic homemaker mood the other night after our awesome crock pot meal and decided that we should have homemade CC cookies (insert sweet tooth craving here) so I made them! And really they are so easy to make if you have all the stuff (don't roll your eyes at me, I can feel them rolling as I type this). But they were good, worth the 20-25 minutes of work that went into making them and we're still enjoying them, yum!

Ok, well that is the end of this post. I will leave you with a few pictures to look at. (You always have to post some kind of pics, it makes the post more exciting) The pics are, respectively, HJO, the real Coco Chanel, and Shirley (best known as Weeza) all dressed up.




5 comments:

delores lail said...

Yay! You're not sick! I was worried that you had Blog feva, since we had not heard from you in two days. I know I would love the Coco Chanel movie. Another Amazing woman!

katie said...

ok...agreed that target has amazing clothes especially fall ones yay!...however i cannot seem to find myself able to understand the liking of a movie with child star haley joel osment...i love you but this is not ok.

Francesca said...

glad your back blogging!! reading it has become part of my daily ritual..(yes I do have a life, but I like hearing about double JK)..
Movies and ice cream a great combo. One of my favs is "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (Audrey Hepburn) and B&J's pistachio, pistachio mixed with chuncky monkey. It's not easy keeping the other DR from eating it all. Doesn't sound like you have that problem with the other JK. love ya

katie said...

i agree with ole' francesca...reading this i my new guilty pleasure...and when i say guilty i mean not guilty at all. i love it. sanks.

Emily said...

HJO?? pittsburgh has changed you, jessi lail kellY!