Saturday, January 10, 2009

new recipe

The JKs are getting healthy this year; we're eating right and staying/getting fit (you can guess who is staying and who is trying to "get fit")! With that being said we are eating light, good for you meals. I received my first issue of Cooking Light a few days ago many thanks to Heather (and Patrick)! It was my Christmas gift from them. Not trying to sound dramatic, but I vowed on the day that I got it that I would not live without it again. It is incredible! All of the recipes look so good, they're healthy and look fairly easy for the most part. Seriously, I'm so excited to have this subscription, I suggest all of you look into it. Anywho...tonight I chose to make a recipe from the magazine (its actually for a Campbell's soup ad in the mag...but a healthy recipe all the same).

Quick & Easy Chicken Vegetable Paella

2 tbsp. olive oil
3 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-in. strips
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. turmeric (I didn't have this nor did I take the time to figure out what it was so I just used fajita seasoning)
1 red bell pepper, large dice
1 (8oz.) pkg, frozen pearl onions
1 1/2 cups converted white rice (that just means white rice)
1 can of condensed tomato soup
2 cups water
2 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 (5 oz.) pkg. frozen peas, thawed

Heat large skillet over med. heat, and add oil, coating bottom of skillet. Add chicken, and cook until slightly browned. Add garlic and turmeric; cook 1 minute. Add bell pepper and pearl onions; cook and stir 2 minutes.

Combine, in separate bowl, soup, water, lemon juice, and black pepper, mixing well.

Add rice to skillet, mixing well. Then add soup mixture and stir to incorporate.

Cover and set heat to low; cook for 22 min. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in green peas and serve!

It was quite a delicious recipe, enjoy!!

2 comments:

delores lail said...

Sounds wonderful!

Heather said...

Yay! I'm so glad you like the subscription. It really had done wonders for our meal time and marriage. Patrick even thumbs through finding the ones he likes so I can make them. Let me know how this recipe goes!