Monday, March 28, 2011

own it

I already professed my admiration for Rachel Wilkerson here. And when I read this post I was reminded of how much I like her. Basically in the post listed above she encourages her readers and women everywhere to own it. By "own it" she means when you make a decision, own it. You don't have to explain yourself. Just say it is what it is. Like if you want to take that crazy off the wall job that you totally didn't go to college for. Own it. You don't have to answer a million questions regarding the decision. Her tag line is "sorry I'm not sorry". I really like that. She also encouraged her readers to post/comment what they're "sorry they're not sorry for". So here goes (and yes I'm being vulnerable here):

1. I feel very deeply and that makes me very sensitive. Sorry I'm not sorry, it's something I can't really change. I think that contributes to compassion and my ability to be aware of those around me and their feelings. I like having that.

2. I make decisions (sometimes major, life changing) on my gut feeling. Some think it's illogical to make such huge decisions on a "feeling" but that's just how I role. Sorry I'm not sorry.

3. We've been watching How I Met Your Mother and more times than not I laugh hysterically throughout the episodes to the point of tears. John thinks I'm ridiculous and probably wondering why the heck he married such a crazy lady. Sorry I'm not sorry baby, you knew what you were getting into before you made the commitment (I often tell him that).

So yes, I encourage you to embrace owning it and think or heck, say "sorry I'm not sorry".

3 comments:

Francesca said...

I agree with you,I love your sensitivity. We should all learn to own it! Sorry but not sorry to say I will not be watching How I Met Your Mother.

Emily said...

I so needed this today! <3

D said...

One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it's expressed in the choices one makes. In the long run we shape our lives and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.
~Eleanor Roosevelt

Love Eleanor! She was ahead of her time!