Thursday, March 10, 2011

heaven is for real


Yo. I just read this book and every time I thought of the title, I thought it would be great if it was really this: "Heaven is for Real, Yo" But now we're going to get serious. I feel like you guys have a general understanding of my faith. We all know I'm a Christian and try to follow Christ's teachings as closely as possible. You should also know that it is really hard for me to get up on Sunday mornings and sometimes I don't make it to church. I don't think it makes me any less of a Christian. There is some Christian fiction that I enjoy (i.e. Francine Rivers) but for the most part I think it's cheesy, well...because it is. Same for worship music. I really enjoy some worship music but a lot of the times it isn't my preferred musical choice. I just think some of it is cheesy. That's just me. You should also know that I am cynical. Especially of authority (i.e. the government, the Man, leaders, etc.). Especially, especially of leaders and institutions within the Christian world. And apparently God thought I wasn't quite cynical enough because He paired me up with the most cynical man in the world. I am quick to question people's motives and the validity of their passions and stories. With that said I love the Lord with all my heart and will follow Him all the days of my life because to me there really are no other options. Soooo now that you know the inner workings of my mind I shall begin my book report:

This book is absolutely wonderful. And when I say that I mean it. I read it while I was sitting in a stuffy waiting room in the courthouse (waiting to be selected/not selected for jury duty but that's a whole other story) and either had goosebumps on my legs and arms or tears in my eyes almost the entire time. Heaven is For Real is truly a goosebumps giving/eyes watering/mouth dropping kind of book. The story goes like this: 4 year old boy has an emergency appendectomy and while on the operating table visits Heaven and returns. But the funny thing is he doesn't even bring it up until months later. And he mentions it as casually as if he were saying "yeah, I'm just going to the store with Dad". He goes on to tell his parents about what Heaven is like. He explicitly explains things like where God sits (on a throne) and what Jesus looks like. He also encounters family members that he was able to identify (and had never met in his short lifetime). I won't give away the good parts by telling you some of the things that came out of his mouth. But let's just say that these are things that no 4 year old would ever know unless he truly experienced it. And yes, I know some of you are thinking "ummm right, that sounds absolutely ridiculous" and to that I will say: all the more reason that you need to read this book. Seriously, amazing. Like I knew Heaven existed before this book but now I really know and I'm really excited about the day that I get to go (not trying to be morbid here)! Also, a quick read so for those who are hesitant to read it, I swear it will only take up like a day or two of reading time. Totally worth it, you should totally read it. Like totally, yo. :)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I read this recently too and I totally agree with you! It was amazing!!

Mom said...

Loved this book! Thanks to Cis for sharing her copy. Such an inspiration! It will lift your spirits!