Thursday, March 24, 2011

i looove beach music

For those of you who did not have the honor of being born and raised in eastern North Carolina, this is what beach music is:


(ignore the silly video, just focus on the song)

Man, that song brings back lots of memories. Now onto the original purpose of the post, Beach Music by Pat Conroy...



What a wonderful book. Like truly wonderful. Maybe it's because I haven't been in NC during the summer in awhile, maybe it's because I really miss Southern culture, maybe it's because I'm super emotional when people describe the eastern parts of the Carolinas in great detail and really, maybe it's just because it is such a well written book. Pat Conroy knows how to write a book. Now I want to read all of his other books! This book is the story of a small, low country town in SC. It spans three generations and two continents. It's truly an incredible book! There were parts where I teared up and some parts I just had to lay the book down because it was starting to be too much for me (as in I was becoming way too emotional). Don't be scared off because I'm a cry baby, I don't think the average reader would be so emotional. But it is absolutely awesome! Also, don't be turned off because it's nearly 800 pages. It's worth every page and truly is a page turner. I highly recommend it and I thank my sweet friend Pallas for giving it to me! I have a feeling it's one of those books that sticks with you for the rest of your life.

2 comments:

Pallas said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it...because it wouldn't have been good if you didn't being 800 pages and all!

Kathy said...

Loved Beach Music! Other Conroy books are good too. You'd like The Water is Wide, Prince of Tides, and South of Broad. The Great Santini is roughly about his childhood. The Lords of Discipline is set in a "fictional" Citadel. My Losing Season is about Conroy playing basketball in college. Heather met him once when he came to Carolina. Oh - and I have Glee 5!