Friday, February 11, 2011

memphis sweet potato fries, ya'll

Another gem a la the Neely's, ya'll. I mean if you haven't watched their show, please YouTube an episode and count the "ya'lls" coming out of Pat Neely's mouth. But on the real, these sweet potato fries are incredible, the Neely's have done it again...ya'll. Come on, I had to do it.



4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch wide strips
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl mix together olive oil, paprika and ground cinnamon. Toss the potato strips into mixture, to coat well and spread onto baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and brown sugar.

Bake for 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

Chef Jessi's notes: I doubled the recipe because we had that many sweet potatoes and I wanted to be done with them. Also, turning them every 10 minutes is key...I know some of you may think "whatever, I'm sticking them in there for 30 solid minutes and they'll be fine" (cough cough...my mom...and sometimes myself). Anyway, they will not be just fine, they will be burnt and nastay. So make sure you turn them, I did and they turned out fabulously.

(photo and recipe cred to foodnetwork.com)

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I have to tell you...Darrell laughed when I read this to him! He counted Pat Neeley's "Y'all"'s one time too! These sound great and I also have an abundance of sweet potatoes, so guess what's on the menu tomorrow?!

Mom said...

So, What's wrong with burnt? haha! I had to laugh, because before you " called me out"....I was thinking, "Do you really need to turn these every 10 minutes?...not!"

GinnyWilkins said...

ok i do not know how to cut sweet potatoes length wise. I've tried and i'm pretty sure its impossible to make them look like the picture. Any secrets I need to know about?