Monday, February 7, 2011

just puttin it out there...

So I received some money for my birthday. And usually I deposit it and eventually spend it (for example, when I got shopping in like a month I may find a dress that I like but I don't need so then I justify that it is birthday money paying for it) but this year I'm thinking of something different. I'm thinking about maybe...just maybe...purchasing a Kindle. I know I have some friends and family that own one, so what are your thoughts out there readers?

Please take these things into consideration:
1. I am a nanny and when the kids are napping, I read.
2. I am a book worm, I would rather read than watch TV.
3. I have a large amount of actual books that I still haven't read yet.
4. I also have a long "wish list" on Amazon of books that I would like to buy/read and its cheaper to buy Kindle books than regular books, right?
5. Does it take all the fun away from getting a book from someone you love? For instance, I love when people give me a book as a gift and say "oh I just loved this and knew that you would too", would they still do that? Or just give me an Amazon gift card? Can you "purchase" a Kindle book for someone else?
6. I am hesitant to take one step closer towards this ridiculously technology driven world (I still don't own a smart phone and I'm kinda OK with that). I kind of fear that one day we will be taken over by robots (and no, the irony is not lost that hubs could very well be the one building the robots) but nonetheless they are robots! And we won't have paper or humans anymore, ahh!

Ok, so give me your thoughts. Really, let me know. Comment down there. Even if you've never commented before, ya'll are my blog readers and I would love to hear your opinions. OK, thanks!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

Nearly all of the "great literary classics" are out of copyright and are freely available for free (legally) on the kindle and other electronic readers. I'm currently reading Tom Sawyer on my smartphone in this manner.

My fairly tech-avoiding parents both have kindles, and they love 'em. One got the other one for an early-November birthday, and they were fighting over it like such children, they got another one for Christmas.

I'm 99% sure you can gift kindle books, or just get an amazon gift card. You can also transfer other electronic texts to the kindle, like if you found a copy somewhere else, or purchased an ebook somewhere else.

The screen on the kindle is absolutely amazing, the easiest to read screen I've ever seen in person, but it's not the same as a book. Keep in mind that it's not self-illuminating, so you can't read it in the dark unless you have an external light. My parents both got the nice leather cases with the light built-in, which is nice.

On to the downsides. Keep in mind that you're not 'purchasing' books, you're merely licensing them for display on your kindle. Amazon retains the ability, and has even used it in the past, to remove books people have purchased from their kindles. Not just "stopped selling them" but actually told the kindle to delete that book. Most notably, and most deliciously ironic, they did this to George Orwell's "1984" a few years ago.

Emily said...

1. YES! This is the best time to read. I use my kindle all the time to read while feeding Alice or rocking her to sleep. It is easier than a book because you only have to use one hand to flip the pages.

2. Me too!

3. Me too!

4. It is cheaper and so easy to grab a book and go. I download lots of books on a whim when someone recommends it to me which is nice.

5. No. They do offer Kindle gifts (different from a regular Amazon gift card...learned that the hard way). You can also loan some books on Kindle now which is really cool. I vote yes for the Kindle so we can share books!

6. Don't be afraid!

I will bet you a kindle book you will love it SO MUCH!

Kathy said...

Love, love, love my Kindle! That doesn't mean I don't also read books (you know how Mary Ann & I share favorite authors), but I love to have my Kindle for travel, sitting in the doctor's office, and especially at the gym (the pages don't bounce and they're easier to turn)! I haven't tried it yet, but you can give a Kindle book as a gift...you buy it and they send an email notification to the recipient. If you don't want it they say you can exchange it for an Amazon gift card. Sharing books is new and I haven't tried it, but Marcia & I are planning on it! Be sure to get a case!!!

Cynthia said...

Call me Rosalie, but I vote "NO". I wish we all didn't have Blackberrys, Kindles, laptops, etc. I could live in a world without most electronics and be perfectly happy! It's sorta hard to enjoy sitting on a porch, going for a walk, or watching a movie while someone you're with can't stop looking at whatever electronic device they have with them. Waaah! I miss the good ole days!