Saturday, February 27, 2010

carrots with horseradish sauce

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a fan of carrots. But when Kathy fixed these on Christmas day I had seconds and then later that night went to the fridge and ate the rest. They are freakin good!! You must try them even if you claim to hate carrots.

Carrots with Horseradish Sauce

2 (1 lb.) bunches carrots
1/4 c. cooking liquid from the carrots
1/2 c. mayo
1 tbsp. onion, minced
1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. fine cracker crumbs
2 tbsp. butter

Cook the scraped carrots whole in boiling water. Cut them lengthwise into strips. Arrange in 8" or 9" shallow baking dish. Combine the sauce ingredients (cooking liquid, mayo, onion, horseradish and salt & pepper). This may be done ahead, but do not mix it with the carrots ahead of time (important!). Just before mealtime, pour the sauce over the carrots. Sprinkle crumbs on top and dot with the butter. Bake uncovered at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds yummy...I actually like carrots! What kind of crackers do you use?

Delores said...

Yay, I have been waiting for you to post this so I can try them. Bought all of the ingredients today for tomorrow's dinner! Thanks to you and Kathy!

Anna said...

I concur, they are absolutely amazing!