Sunday, April 5, 2009

sweet potato casserole!!


I LOVE sweet potato casserole!! It is so delish! As I've described to my dear readers before, I CRAVE foods randomly and no matter how much I try and think about something else that stupid little craving pops back into my head. Well, I've been craving SPC (for short...I mean it is a lot to type people) for about a week and a half now! So I decided to make it last night. However, I had a road block...I would deem SPC a delicious, but "really bad for you" side dish and that kind of goes against my "trying to be healthy" lifestyle. So the next thought in my head is cookinglight.com! Of course! So I found a recipe there and tried it and it was delicious!!! Mmm mmm!! Here's the recipe if any of you have this particular craving too:

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

Potatoes:
  • 2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • Cooking spray
Topping:
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

To prepare potatoes, place potatoes in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.

Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add half-and-half, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add eggs; beat well (mixture will be thin). Scrape mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

To prepare topping, sprinkle miniature marshmallows over top of casserole. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans, and sprinkle over potato mixture and marshmallows. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Calories: 193

Fat: 6.3 grams

However, I used fat free half and half, which I believe takes down the fat and calories.



3 comments:

Emily said...

I think something is wrong with me. I love sweet potatoes, but not SPC. It is just a little too sweet for me, I guess...is that a curse?

katie said...

mmmmm yummo. not. I Better not see any of this when I'm in the PA. Loves

Heather said...

So glad you like cooking light (even .com). Sounds yummo!