Monday, April 20, 2009

steel magnolias

I'm not sure if you all know but I'm a Southern belle and Steel Magnolias is my essential guide to life. See, we gals (me, Katie, cuzzies Emily and Abby) all grew up watching this movie summer after summer after summer when our mommas would take us on vacation to the beach. Of course we fell in love with the movie and it became our guide to life (as stated earlier). The most recent time I watched the movie (last week with my sister) when the intro music played I went as far as saying to Katie, "This is my heart song" and it is, don't laugh...it is. The movie is incredible and I L-O-V-E it, in fact I'm pretty sure I've already written a post about it before (oh well it deserves a 1000 more!). If you don't like, don't tell me because chances are I won't like you as much anymore (no, no, no I'll still like you but I will be a little angry with you). But really the movie is fabulous (see, my new word again)! And it's quite different to watch it in the North, when I hear their voices and watch all of the stuff that seems so normal to me (fried shrimp, sweet tea, common everyday Southern expressions...), my heart just melts and it makes me want to jump in my car and move back down South ASAP! Anyway the point of this post is that Katie and I assigned roles to the women we've grown up watching this movie with--who we think the women really are and here goes...(and yes, this is a compliment to all of you):

  • M'Lynn Eatenton--Emily
  • Truvy Jones--Abby
  • Ouiser Boudreaux--Katie
  • Claree Belcher--my momma
  • Anelle Dupuy Desoto-Cis
  • Shelby Eatenton Latcherie--me
Is that not perfect and dead on the money!? For those of you who know us well I think you all would agree. Sorry if this post is slightly boring for those who don't care for the movie or the character match ups, but seriously Katie and I were dead on! As we watched the movie and someone would say a line we would just laugh, look at each other and say "Ohhhh Mom or Ohhh Cis"...awesome!

7 comments:

Mom said...

Too funny. I can see that. Cynthia was reciting Annels lines this weekend. And of course Abby text'd a pic of her new shoes. It's a classic! Love it!

Emily said...

I'm sorry, but I'd actually switch me and mama's. Swarry! Loves ya though!

Not to be mean, but mama can be a tad more pessemistic than I can (like M'Lynn), plus I love baby Jesus ornaments and I liked drinkin' and smokin' before I found the Lord. Well, maybe a little after I found the Lord too...

Cynthia said...

"I know it may sound simple and stupid", but y'all were right on with the character assignments! Not one of us should be offended...it's almost as if the writer knew our personalities! I've referred to us all as Steel Magnolias more than once, even on Em's blog. Love it! Love you!

Cynthia said...

Hey, how funny that we were all posting comments within minutes of each other! Obviously we were eagerly awaiting an update. And by the way, M'Lynn is not pessimistic, just practical!

Emily said...

I feel bad I said mama was pessimistic. I think from now on, if I start a sentence with 'not to be mean', I should not type it at all!

Sorry mama!

Abby said...

Yay! i love being Truvy!!

Heather said...

LOVE the movie too! How about that armadillo cake?! And I cry EVERY time I see the ending.