Friday, March 13, 2009

raney

As you can see, I've been reading up a storm. I've noticed that I have somewhat of an addictive personality with books, after I'm done with one I'm already on my way downstairs to my lovely bookshelves to pick out another to read. I thought that I would go for a complete change of setting this time and picked Raney by Clyde Edgerton. This book is based in NC (which I loved!) and was given to me by my mil (mother in law) for my birthday...well both my fil and mil gave it to me but let's be honest and say my mil picked it out. I told her that "Southern literature" was one of the categories that I enjoyed most, amongst others of course. Anyway, its set in NC in the '70s and is about Raney, a 24 year old woman who is newly married. It was really interesting (wow, I need a new word for book reviews) because the main character was about my age, Southern, and newly married. It takes you through the struggles her and her husband have, the struggles she has with her family because of her husband, because he thinks "differently" aka he believes in integration and that its ok for a woman to work. It was a really cute book, I felt very connected to Raney and Charles (the husband) just because of the way that Mr. Edgerton writes. I like the way that he writes, very comfortable and really easy to read. He makes you feel like you're actually there in the middle of their argument or conversation or whatever may be going on. I struggled through the first part, (I'm always trying to "figure out" where a book is going when I begin reading it) but once I got a grasp on where it was going--aka the story line--I was good, and I ended up liking it more and more as I got closer to the end (not because I was finished with it but just in the way things resolved). It's quite short too, so if you're looking for a cute, quick read I suggest it. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

This is so funny...you and Em read all the time and I bet she forgot to tell you about Clyde Edgerton! She read all of his books in middle school and actually was at Quaker Lake summer camp one year with his daughter! Small world!