Monday, March 30, 2009

bookworm to the rescue!

If you wanting another book suggestion, here's one: Six Hours One Friday by Max Lucado. After I finished the lovely "Barefoot" last night, I decided that my soul was thirsty for a spiritual book. And with the Easter season just around the bend (despite the small amount of snow that was so begrudgingly welcomed on my car this morning) I decided to pick up this book that my Mom handed off to me a few years ago. She raved about how great the book was, no surprise there, she's a huge Lucado fan. I've only read one of his small books--literally small it was like 4"x4" (I think it was a devotional--it was 4 years ago, see...my memory is already failing me) but I'm definitely hooked on this book! I'm finding that since I have a regular job these days and I'm no longer a free-loading college student that my life is more mundane and structured (against my will). With all of that to say (yes, I'm going on a serious note here people), I think that people who have regular, structured schedules have different struggles than others who have more flexible schedules (and yes I'm well aware that we all have different struggles). You may be wondering "what am I really contributing to?" or "what's my real purpose here?". I know that I've been entertaining those thoughts lately...and this book is great at reminding you what Jesus did for us and what that really means to a person. I can't stand books that sound like fire and brimstone preaching, Lucado is not like that at all, he's very realistic--you can tell that he wants people to feel connected to his book and in a bigger way for people to feel connected to Christ. I mean geez, I'm about to start the 5th chapter and I've already teared up twice. And yes, it was during one of my favorite New Testament stories, the woman at the well, he explained that story in very descriptive lamens terms for those of us who aren't Biblical scholars--just so we can understand it on a deeper level. Anyway, if you really want to get into the Easter spirit I suggest you pick this book up or just read the book of Matthew in the New Testament...forget the Easter bunny! (Except...Mom...just so you know, even though I'm "grown up" and married I will still be accepting Reese's eggs from the Easter bunny this year)

3 comments:

Mom said...

That's my girl!!

Awesome book-perfect for Easter reading.

katie said...

Haha..speaking of the easter bunny coming I was talking to this guy the other day and he asked me where Igot something and I told him santa gave it to me this year, and so he rightfully asked if I had sibling and I was like Yeah! She's 23 she's my favorite haha and he was like oh haha

I loved it! It made me haps

Cynthia said...

I gave that book to so many people including Grandpa around Easter a few years ago. One of my fav Max books!