Monday, May 30, 2011

books, lately



The Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts
(series includes: Vision in White, Bed of Roses, Savor the Moment and Happy Ever After)

This is the first of Nora Roberts' work that I've ever read. I've heard people say that they just looove her and others that say it's kinda cheesy. I have to say that by the end of the first book I was thinking "you're kidding me, it ended that easily? That was kinda cheesy. But also kinda romantic and sweet". With each book I became more involved and hooked to the series. And seeing as I'm a person who mourns the end of a good book it was great to have four books regarding the same main characters! I did enjoy reading them, they were sweet and light and very romantic. Also very predictable. But I figured if I was having the reaction as stated above then maybe I was reading a lot of cynical and depressing books. And I like variety, so it was welcomed. I did enjoy them a lot and recommend them for someone who needs a break from the "struggling/suffering" main character and just needs a little something sweet and light. Also note: I had to constantly remind myself that my husband wasn't going to come home one day and say "let's go to NYC for a night out!" or bring me 3 dozen roses for no reason. Let's stay grounded in reality people :)



The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Looooved this book! Loved, loved, loved it! This is the second book I've read by Hilderbrand, the first was Barefoot, which I highly recommend. I love that Hilderbrand focuses on the relationships that women have with each other. The books that I've read thus far have been centered around the main (always female) characters, their lives and struggles and most importantly their relationships (mothers/daughters/sisters/nieces/aunts). The relationships are very real, sometimes uncomfortable but in the end it all seems to work out in its own way. I was seriously hooked by this book and read it within a few days. It made me yearn for the beach as well as the relationships that I have with the women in my life. Great read for the summer (or anytime of year, really)!

No comments: