Saturday, May 9, 2009

my big fat greek experience

A couple of weeks ago we received a brochure in the mail for a Greek Festival in Oakland (a part of Pittsburgh that's really close to us). John was really excited when he saw it because he looooves gyros. I decided that we should go, how fun! The festival was held this past week at the Greek Orthodox church in Oakland. When I got home last night I remembered the festival and remembered that I didn't want to cook, perfect! Festival time! So we went...and we walked up on a huge crowd of Pens fans (I think they're in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup??) under a few large white tents along with very Greek looking women and men serving up gyros like it was a Greek McDonalds! After I looked at the slim menu (there were 4 options, including baklava)...I frowned because the brochure weeks before advertised many more dishes (and you know me, I love to try a new dish!). I then saw a huge sign welcoming us into the church. We ventured in only to find a looooong line coming out of a fellowship hall bigger than any high school gymnasium I've ever seen. We quickly jumped in what looked like a cafeteria line for Greek cuisine. I picked out delicious Spanakopeta and a similar dish but I think it was just cheese and what seemed like scrambled eggs (not as good as the Spana.). I also added a little roll of rice, mint, and dill rolled in grape leaves (mmmmmm!!). John picked a Greek version of meatballs and some other Greek casserole looking thing. It was soooooooooooo good!! And not only was the food incredible, there was a live band playing Greek music (opa!) and traditional Greek dancers dancing in the middle of a huge crowd. Let me tell you what, there was some major Greek pride in that hall! And let me say that Greek women are beautiful, they have rich brown eyes and THICK, CURLY brown hair, gorgeous! Once we were finished with our dinner we filed in a line for pastries (it took up a whole wall of the hall!!). John is a huge fan of anything with honey and all of their pastries are some variation of phyllo, cream, honey, nuts, and cinnamon. Needless to say we walked away with one of almost everything. Best baklava I've ever had (eat your hearts out Mom and Cis!). What a wonderful experience! I wish I could go back and get more baklava, too bad last night was the end of the festival. We're definitely going again next year!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Was the bakalava REALLY better than the lady's on the street? THAT was the best I've ever had, Wish I had some now!!!!

Emily said...

yes the penguins are in the playoffs for the stanley cup... i'm in europe and i already know that they one last night in overtime.. get some pittsburgh pride!! love youuu

Heather said...

We LOVE going to the Greek festival in Columbia. It's awesome. AND they have baklava sundays. YUMMO!