Friday, August 5, 2011

redefining the southern belle

I came across this fabulous article (Redefining the Southern Belle) while reading Perryn's blog and I LOVED IT!  I mean it is perfect!  I'm going to copy Perryn and highlight this particular section:
There are other defining attributes, some more quantifiable than others. Southern women know how to bake a funeral casserole and why you should. Southern women know how to make other women feel pretty. Southern women like men and allow them to stay men. Southern women are not afraid to dance. Southern women know you can’t outrun your past, that manners count, and that your mother deserves a phone call every Sunday. Southern women can say more with a cut of their eyes than a whole debate club’s worth of speeches. Southern women know the value of a stiff drink, among other things.
and...
I was also taught that your children are not supposed to be your best friends. Southern women do not spend a lick of time worrying about whether or not their kids are mad at them. They are too busy telling them “No” and “Because I said so,” which might explain why there are rarely any Southern kids acting a fool and running wild around the Cracker Barrel.

Like seriously, I couldn't have written this article better myself.  Love it.  Do yourself a favor, carve out some time and read it.  You're welcome :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

A little scary how I may have quoted some of that to my "Sweet Darlins" as they were growing up! I'll be your best friend now! :)