Wednesday, April 20, 2011

vulnerability

Things are about to get real vulnerable 'round here. Don't worry my faithful (few) male readers, it's not that vulnerable, so you can continue to read the post. I'm just saying I've discovered something wonderful and I am well aware that it is nothing new to the rest of the world. Therefore it's taking some real vulnerability to admit this. This wonderful creation is, ahem, steel wool. That's right, steel wool. Let me explain.

I have stainless steel pots and pans, fancy right? Wrong. Well, I guess it was the combination of cooking with a gas stove for the first time and stainless steel for the first time. Btw, this was almost 3 years ago. Well I noticed that a couple of my pans started to get charred. These pans soaked, they were scrubbed, they were soaked some more. I finally resigned to the idea of having charred pans. Well, obviously it hasn't affected the food because we're still alive and well.

So for some reason, a few weeks ago, I bought steel wool. (I really can't remember the original reason.) But then I decided to try it on one of the charred pans. And just like that, the black charredness just started disappearing. I was thrilled! I announced my revelation to John, to which he replied "oh it looks great, wow" to which I'm sure he was thinking (really? she didn't know about steel wool? wow). But man it's incredible. And it's incredibly sad how thrilled I am over (finally) spotless pans! Oh and you may want to wear rubber gloves because I'm pretty sure I shaved off a little bit of my nail bed in the process, sacrifices people.

Another confession: today I fell and scraped half my shin walking up our cement steps. You may be thinking, oh well I'm sure it was wet from all that rain. Nope, it was bone dry. Well maybe it was dark and you couldn't see where you were going. Nope, it was broad daylight. Wellll maybe your shoelaces were untied and you tripped. Nope, I literally tripped over my own feet. Well, I think I did. It all happened so fast except that I fell very slowly. And this isn't the first time I've fallen walking up steps. My gracefulness is out of control.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

You are too funny! Are you talking about "SOS" or "Brillo" pads made for pot-scrubbing or just plain steel wool? Hysterical. And FYI, I have fallen, going UP the steps too. Makes you wonder...

Heather said...

You're a mess girl! But you crack me up. I have non-stick plans so I've never used steel wool. See you're not alone!