Wednesday, April 13, 2011

it's been a few days

Sorry bout that folks. So here are a few updates from the past few days:

1. Ever since this incident I have been a little queasy when I look at anything sweet. The real reason isn't because the cake was a fluke but because I was licking my fingers while "decorating" and then decided to eat a piece after it was declared a fail. Then I had Chickfila later that night because I "hadn't eaten dinner yet" (note to self: don't eat Chickfila after you had a piece of chocolate-chocolate cake, idiot) and then I threw up. Eww gross, I know, but we're all adults here. And not right after I got home from my Chickfila adventure but after hours of feeling "ughhh, my stomach hurts....ughhh". And kablamo, there it came and now when I see the cake I sneer at it. And now when I see other sweets my stomach rolls around a bit inside. Maybe it's God's way of telling me to lay off the sweets. Awesome. A post it note would have been appreciated instead but whatevs.

2. Dixie and I are not on speaking terms right now. Being the awesome dog owner that I am, I decided to take Priss on a walk today. It's been raining since Sunday evening. That means there is a lot of mud and a lot of puddles up in this neighborhood. I was careful, she was not. Then there were men busting up concrete, which is pretty loud, and since Skiddish gets so scared with any loud/unexpected noise she pulled a little extra hard. That combined with mud puddles and my general lack of grace ended up with two knees covered in mud, previously clean shoes covered in mud, a scraped knee, scraped hand, mud under nails, tears brimming in the eyes and an escapee. Of course, first things first, I yell "DIXIE, COME!". She looks back like "crap, I know I should come but I'm so freaking scared right now" and all I can think is "wow, we're on a really busy road, holy c-r-a-p she better get back here STAT!". I yell again and she looks back in fear and trots a few steps forward. (you should all know that there are two men walking by and I'm sure are completely judging me because my "faithful companion" is not the least bit concerned that her poor, sweet owner is picking herself up off the muddy sidewalk and btw I'm a hot mess at this point). After a couple of intense commands yelled in a furious/embarrassed voice, she stops. While this sounds dramatic, she didn't go further than 10 feet or so. But that's ten freaking feet! I was so pissed at her! Still am. I called her a few choice names on the walk back home (don't worry, nothing too bad, just along the lines of jerk and traitor) and after cooling off explained to her that I still loved her but am not happy with her. Hmph!

3. I made Barbecue Chicken Burgers the other night (when I thought I was over the queasiness) and they were so great! (later my stomach reminded me that it was still pissed at me over the chocolate cake incident and that I should lay low on the whole eating thing) But seriously, the BBQ chicken burgers were so easy and tasty. Also, pretty healthy and cheap. My fave things; cheap, easy, tasty and healthy. Love it. Oh and John loved them too, said it was one of his fave things I've made, now that is a compliment.

4. I've read some books lately and here are my assessments:

The Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers: Good, not her best but still a good book.

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous: Good but depressing book. What? You didn't think something could be good and depressing? Yeah it can :) It's a memoir of a girl in the 60s/70s(?) who gets involved with drugs/sex/etc. I think it's something every teen/tween should read so that they know that the ever elusive "getting into drugs" image isn't as glamorous as their peers may make it seem.

Jay's Journal by Anonymous: Somewhat along the same lines as Go Ask Alice but with witchcraft added in the mix. I'll have to say this book really freaked me out. I don't really recommend it because I was really creeped out. I feel awful for this guy and definitely think his story should be told but man, it was weird for real.

No comments: