Friday, April 8, 2011

note to self

Do not bake a cake when it looks like this outside.



Also, do not pretend that you star on Ace of Cakes while you are icing a cake.

Because then your cake turns out like this:




(side shot of the cake wreck)

The story goes a little something like this: I was enlisted to bake a cake for my sweet little neighbor's birthday party (thank God it's tomorrow and not tonight). So I started. The cake smelled delicious. I even went the fancy way and greased and floured the pans instead of spraying PAM on them. Partially because I don't have any PAM at the moment and partially because this is a special cake and I do that for all my special cakes.

Then when I went to flip the cakes out they didn't come. Now I'm sure if you've baked a cake (an important one at that) and went to flip it and it didn't come out you know what I'm talking about. My heart drops to my stomach when that happens. So I craftily took a knife and tried to coerce the cakes out of their pans. They came out. With a HUGE chunk of cake stubbornly remaining in the pan. "No big deal" I think. Icing can fix all things in cakeworld.

So I begin my icing and I start to get quite confident. First mistake there. Oh, and I also did this fancy trick where you fold two sheets of wax paper under the cake so that you can slip them out from under it once you're finished icing which leaves a clean and tidy cake plate. At the end of the icing process the cake doesn't look too bad. It's leaning slightly but I think "hmm that can be fixed...I'll just give it a little push" and then comes "oh sh*t, oh sh*t". Yea people, I don't mess around when it comes to cakes, everything is that serious. Sooo then I try to slip the wax paper out from underneath the cake and the cake slides and starts to tear apart slightly. I frantically call for John, he doesn't respond. Apparently the Masters was turned up to a ridiculous volume. I call out again at a higher pitch and a tad more frantic. He moseys in and I quickly explain the situation and remind him that he's an engineer and that should be pretty helpful right now (another note to self: engineer does not equal miracle worker). So he tries his best and it starts to split and a huge hunk of cake comes out with the wax paper. I turn away for a second and see that John has the hunk of cake in hand and almost in his mouth. I shout "you can't eat that! I have to put it under the cake to even it out" then I decide against it, accept defeat and announce that I'm making another cake. John then promptly says "perfectionist much?". Umm pot calling the kettle black much? Can I get an amen people?

So I made another one. I refuse to ice it. I have officially handed it over to my neighbor to complete. I will never again attempt icing/decorating a cake (well at least not for like 3 years or so). Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Funny comment from S-I-L "perfectionist"?...just love that! Cake, fallen or not, looks so yummy!

katie said...

hahah. I love that john accused you of being s perfectionist, may or may not be the most ironic thing I've heard today