Wednesday, April 27, 2011

time to review

Here are a few reviews from a few things that need some reviewing :)

The Kennedys (the mini-series)


While perusing gossip magazines last year I was able to see pictures from the filming of this mini-series and I knew that I needed to watch it! I adore Jackie O. Here's a Jessi Kelly fun fact: when I was a little girl I had a Jackie O doll (thank you, Franklin Mint) complete with legit outfits from the pumps to fitted suits and pillbox hats. I knew what a pillbox hat was wayyy before my time. I think it may have even included her inauguration gown. OK, back on topic...the mini-series was fantastic! I love history, drama and Jackie O so this was sure to be a success in my book. I heard that The History Channel was going to show it but they turned it down. I'm not sure why because I thought it was pretty awesome myself. Hmm, who knows. Anyway, I love the way that they go back and forth between the years explaining various back stories (i.e. how Jack and Jackie met) while also following his presidency. It was just wonderful (sorry I feel like this review is kind of going around in confusing circles, but I'm kinda sick right now so bear with me)! I definitely recommend it and yes I still cried at the end when President Kennedy was shot and then when Bobby Kennedy was shot. Also, I think I have a crush on Bobby Kennedy. Oops, sorry John :)


(Barry Pepper as Bobby Kennedy...I mean, come on...)


Mamma Mia! (the musical)


I saw this last week and it was a-ma-zing!!! I saw the movie and fell in love with that a few years ago. And I've listened to the soundtrack multiple times. Now seeing it live was just incredible! If you get a chance to go see it then I think you should absolutely go! Love it and yes, I am the dancing queen :)


The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love


Talk about a hilarious book! I came across this book at a going out of business sale and thought it would be worth the few bucks that was on the price tag. And was it ever! I love Jill Conner Browne and her Sweet Potato Queens' view on life! I want to be a Sweet Potato Queen! But as I understand, it is a very hard and strenuous process. Maybe I can be an honorary member or something. There are like a million phrases that I want to bring back/start using that are in this book. To keep the Sweet Potato Queens' stories anonymous they all go by "Tammy" in this book. Brilliant. I want to start referring to people in my life as "Tammy". And any book that has sections labeled "how to declare yourself a queen" and "how to do jacksh*t" is the book for me. If you are Southern and you are woman (hear me roar) then I think you should definitely pick this book up! I've already added the rest of The Sweet Potato Queens' books to my reading list. (side note: if you are not Southern you can still read it, she provides explanations for terms/phrases that you may not understand)

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Okay, I love Jackie and would love to be able to dress like her! You have the doll,I have vintage replica Franklin Mint Jackie Pearls! Thanks Ebay! And as for the Sweet Potato Queens, my friend Marie loves them and she and some of her Pleasant Garden friends dressed like them and rode on a float in the PG Christmas Parade! Yes, she's crazy!