Sunday, November 23, 2008

just like dad


Since I've moved away from home (ie. going to college, moving to PA) I've realized the things that I once thought were weird or annoying about my dad just so happen to embody me as well. So even though I know he doesn't read my blog I'm going to list a few things that my nature has adapted from my oh so loving father:

1. Recycling--I recycle every little thing that I can. Whenever we threw an aluminum can away in the trash (God forbid!) Dad would say "Do you want a world for your children to live in?!" and he would then snatch the can out of the garbage and take it to the recycle bin. I simply rolled my eyes since I was at the ripe young age of 12 and didn't think about my own children or saving the world. It wasn't until I was a freshman in college and my sweet roommate Callie didn't recycle stuff, I literally took bottles out of the top of our trashcan (no I did not dig deep) and put them in the recycle and I'm sure she got the "world for your kids" speech a few times (sorry Callie and all of my other roommates who didn't recycle).

2. Eat a bowl of popcorn for dinner. Whenever it was "make your own night" or Dad was somehow at home by himself he always opted for a bowl of popcorn for dinner. Some of us had soup or PB&Js but not Dad. Now, as I type, I'm eating a bowl of popcorn for my dinner (hub is away at school doing work). But I will not agree that it keeps you full, I always need something a few hours later because after all, its only popcorn.

3. Sweet tooth. My dad has a huge sweet tooth and that has been passed down to me. I always want something sweet, if I could I would live off of sugar. If we ever went by a Cinnabon we HAD to stop in and get Dad one or if we were on some late night cross-country (cross NC) road trip we HAD to stop in and get a honeybun with coffee for Dad. And don't even think about not stopping at Krispy Kreme if he has a sweet tooth. Dad, I say it all with love because I'm just like you, my tastes are just a little different.

4, Dishwasher Nazi. My dad has been named the Dishwasher Nazi at our house. He always does the dishes after dinner. Since we've grown older Katie and I have tried to help by placing them in there and he will simply smile at us, but if you walk out of the room and happen to peek your head in there you'll see the DW Nazi taking your dishes out and rearranging them to his liking. I always thought this was ridiculous. Then I moved into a house with 5 other girls. Over those 3 years (and to this day) I will take our the dishes someone else has put in there and rearrange them to the "right" order.


As stated earlier, all in love Dad. I love who I am today and part of that is because of your crazy nature :)

3 comments:

Francesca said...

right there with ya on the recycle and dishwasher. not so much popcorn,allthough we did have some last night along with goobers and raisonets. taht will be my sugar fix until next year

PamCakes said...

You are SOOO the recycling Queen! And I think we aer both dishwasher nazis :)

Love you!
~PamCakes

delores lail said...

Francesca is such a "sugar prude" what will we do with her? I still love her and yes she is the recycle nazi with you both.

You missed several other "dad-isms" there will have to be a part II. I enjoyed your dose of reality!
Lovey