Saturday, August 25, 2012

summer books

Here's what I've been reading this summer:

Great American classic, right?  This is one of the few books I remember enjoying during high school so I decided to read it again this summer.  Especially since The Great Gatsby is coming out within the next six months, with Leo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire!  It's a quick read, maybe you should revisit high school too :)

This is such a precious book.  It's definitely something on an elementary school level but my Aunt Cissy gave it to me because of our sweet Dixie.  It was a cute, simple read and I highly recommend it to you!  You could definitely read it yourself or if you have a child in elementary school, it would be a nice book to read to them, like maybe a chapter a night or something.  Check it out :) (If you are reading this to your child, the only thing I have to warn is that there are hints toward the mom having left the family because of her drinking.  Other than that it's good to go.)

This book was wonderful!  It's written by the author of Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood so I knew it would be pretty great.  I love it because it is written from a woman's point of view (Cally Lily Ponder, go figure), you follow her from childhood into her thirties and it's set in the South.  Doesn't get much better.  This is a book where I definitely got pulled in emotionally, which means both laughing and crying throughout the entire thing.  Another book that I highly recommend.  Don't be intimidated by it's size (almost 400 pages), I read the entire thing at the beach in between talking, playing cards, tanning and drinking so you can do it too!


Now don't think I've gone all goth or that I'm into really creepy things just by the titles and book covers of the two books above.  They are GREAT!  They're the first two books in the Sookie Stackhouse series, which are the books that True Blood is based on.  I love the show but I had to slow down because it was really dark and sometimes a bit too much for me.  I'm happy to say that the books are only a fraction of all the "darkness" that's in the show.  The books are really more mystery and thriller and not so much...ummm...HBO.  I really don't know how to word that any better.  I feel like HBO over-sexualizes and over-dramatizes things.  But hey, it's TV and I guess they have to get their ratings somehow, right?  Don't get me wrong, I still love the show and it's still extremely addicting.  And the books are very addicting too!  I had to make myself not pick up the third one since I have some other books that I have to read that kind of have a time limit.  If this is any indication on how great these books are; I read the majority of the first one in 24 hours and only slowed down because I had to go to work.  The second one was finished within 48 hours.  Very addicting, very exciting and very quick reads.  Lot's of "very"s but totally deserving!  I feel super nerdy with these books because 1) I get great joy comparing the differences between the books and the show and 2)They are total fantasy books; before Twilight never would I ever think that I would've been into fantasy, ha!  Vampires, shape shifters, werewolves, maenads...the list goes on with the new types of characters they have.  You should get your hands on this series ASAP :)

No comments: