Monday, January 3, 2011

self control

Today I went shopping at TJMaxx. I had one thing on my list and one thing only. It was a necessity. Let's just say it was an unmentionable. OK, so now you see how uneventful this trip should've been. BUT it's TJMaxx, which is one of my fave stores ever. And it's after Christmas. And they are hosting their "winter clearance mark down". Come on people, my heart started pounding just as I was walking through the door. So first I forced myself to go try on the old boring necessity. OK, good now that's over with and now the dressing room lady knows my bra size (great) and yes, I'm pretty sure she snickered...grrr. Then I walked directly to the shoes. Thank God they mostly had shoes I wouldn't touch with a 39 and a 1/2 foot pole...but there were these beautiful glittery Steve Maddens...I picked them up, looked at the price tag (hey, it's a habit), and promptly put them down. My mental conversation went something like this "you don't need these, you already have a million pairs of high heels, but they're so pretty and so...glittery, it's time to grow up you don't have to own everything that has glitter on it, but...but...but, but you're a nanny now and there is no way in the world that these shoes are practical for the job...or any job for that matter, but...but...but...glitter, put them down and walk away". Done and done. Now walking to the home clearance section. Like I need anything there. Luckily there wasn't anything begging me to buy it. Candles that make me want to throw up (Godiva now has a candle that is chocolate and rose smell...let me save you the gag...it smells some kinda nasty) that still cost $10 on clearance! OK, the rest of the trip goes like this: Christmas clearance, regular priced stationary, regular priced home goods, clearance dresses, knick knacks at the check out. It was like a mental tug of war championship. And I still only walked out with my necessary bra. Now that is what I call self control people!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so proud of you! Now let's get you some therapy.

Anna said...

Wow! I'm super impressed, seriously. I've seen your love of TJMaxx in action:)

Mom said...

So was it at least a bra with glitter...you know we are all dying to know (and of course...not judge)

jessi said...

thanks for the words of encouragement ladies! and mom, sadly the bra is not glittery...just your plain ol' nude color. blah.

Cynthia said...

I literally felt the adrenaline as I read this! How can I be so sad and so proud at once?!!! Bless your heart!