Sunday, October 24, 2010

eat your greens!

I've been trying to get in my daily amount of veggies lately and let's put it this way...eating a salad every day gets pretty boooooring. So I've learned how to add veggies to certain dishes and how to mix some together to make a creation I wouldn't have thought of before. Here are some:

  • Add chopped broccoli to an omelet
  • Put cooked veggies (one of my faves: spinach, garlic and cherry tomatoes cooked with olive oil) on top of an actual salad
  • can of collards (Glory brand, reduced sodium) mixed with a can of hominy....mmmm mmmm (oh yeah, and I drained both of them because I don't like the juice)
  • When making a casserole or pasta dish sneak in extra veggies such as green peas, green beans, asparagus or broccoli
  • Seasoned, stewed tomatoes mixed with corn, peppers, onions and any other veggie that seems to go well and put it over chicken, serve with shrimp or on top of a salad
  • carrots with horseradish, the only way I'll eat carrots these days!
Side note:
1/2 cup of cooked veggies=1 serving
1 cup of raw veggies=1 serving

No comments: