Neighb: why does the icing go in the inside?
Me: because they're surprise muffins
Neighb: how are they surprise muffins?
Me: because if you didn't watch me make them you wouldn't know that there was yummy icing in the middle until you bit in and surprise!
Neighb: oh, ok (insert sweet smile here)
So all of that to say, here is the wonderfully yummy surprise pumpkin muffin recipe:
- 3 oz 1/3-less-fat neufchatel cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground pumpkin pie spice
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 cups sifted whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, evaporated cane juice, and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, molasses, oil, and eggs until combined. Whisk in the pumpkin, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir just until fully moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup a little less than half way full; smooth batter with back of a spoon to even out. Spoon about 1 heaping tsp of the cream cheese mixture into the center of each cup. Top with remaining batter. Each cup will be almost completely full. Smooth tops with back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle each filled muffin cup with a few pepitas.
- Bake muffins for 20-23 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (a bit of cream cheese clinging to the toothpick is fine, but there shouldn’t be any raw batter).
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely.
also, much thanks to healthyfoodforliving.com--the recipe and photo are hers :)