Sunday, June 21, 2009

tea for two, two for tea

I had my first proper English tea party yesterday (and there were actually 3 of us but I had to use that cute little song as the title). I felt so...proper? Haha, well my good friend from work is British and she wanted to invite me and Taylor (remember her from an earlier post?) over to her home for a proper (propa...in her accent) English tea. And that's exactly what we did...I arrived and she had a lovely spread of pastries, savory pastries (yes they are two different things..."savory pastries" are similar to quiche) and a beautiful tea set equipped with English breakfast tea. I like to think that I am well cultured and there are few situations that I feel as if I need to act in an extra mannerly way but this was definitely an occasion where I felt that I needed to be "fancy". My Brit friend is very fashionable (so of course I dressed in a very cute outfit...if I do say so myself) and she doesn't mess around with her "proper English tea"...so I knew that I needed to be on my best behavior (Mom, you would've been so proud). And I was. I joked by putting my fancy pinky finger up while drinking but quickly put it down (didn't want to be disrespectful). But seriously, we all had a great time and while I did feel the need to be proper, it was not an uptight tea party at all. Tayla had to leave early to go to work so I lingered around a little while (yes, I offered to leave when Tay left but my British hostess asked if I would stay) and we had great conversation. I really do love talking to someone that...I love talking to. Well, its as simple as that...if I really enjoy talking to the person then I can sit there for hours. After 5 hours I finally came home. And oh by the way my Brit friend has an ADORABLE Shih Tzu whom I fell in love with and I'm kind of petitioning for one in our home...yeah right, that'll happen (roll of eyes......plllllllease John!?).

2 comments:

katie said...

you should write mrs. cherry a thank you note for teaching you all the etiquette you know

delores lail said...

I would have been proud I am sure. To Katie's point...you actually complained a few times going to cotillion- and look at you now!