Saturday, June 2, 2012

the messenger (book review)

My sweet sister-in-law told me about Bethany House Publishing and how you can sign up to be a book reviewer.  They send you free books and all you have to do is review (can be positive or negative) them on a blog or a book-clubbish website (I did mine on Goodreads).  Here's the link if you want to sign up.  So here goes my first review, it's for The Messenger by Siri Mitchell:


This book is set during the American Revolution and focuses on Hannah Sunderland, a Quaker girl whose rebel brother is in jail, and Jeremiah Jones, a tavern owner who has secret patriot loyalties. The two unlikely pair come together to help with a prison escape for the rebels. During the process Hannah begins to question her Quaker faith and Jeremiah begins to shed his bitterness and open up to his compassionate side.

Overall the book was well written, although sometimes I felt like the language didn't flow so well. That could mostly be due to the 18th century language and the use of "thee" instead of "you". It was clear that the author put a lot of research into the book which was appreciated.

I didn't love this book. It was not very captivating to me. I've read historical fiction, Christian fiction and Christian historical fiction, so none of those factors had a negative effect on my thoughts of the book. It was not until the last 70 pages that I found myself reading it because I genuinely wanted to know how it ended instead of just reading it to finish the book. The characters and storyline just didn't captivate me. It may be your cup of tea though...

1 comment:

Siri said...

Thanks for taking the time to write and post a review.

Happy reading,

Siri