Sunday, February 19, 2012

not-so-new movies & their reviews

This movie was FANTASTIC!  One of the best movies we've seen in a long time.  It's about a young man that grew up in foster homes and joins the Navy the first chance he gets.  Once he's in the Navy he begins to have some problems and is sent to a therapist (Denzel).  Basically he and Denzel unwrap his past and he begins to heal...you see where this is going.  It was a great movie and since it's based on a true story I think it's even better.  

This was a good movie :)  Dolly, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda were funny and cute.  I'm embarrassed to say that the first time I've watched this was in the past week, oops.  Sorry, Dolly.  You should see this if you haven't already and I'm guessing you probably have since it came out over 3 decades(!) ago. 

This movie was meh.  I don't know if it's because our generation is used to go-go-go movies but I felt like this was very slow moving and kind of degrading.  Marilyn's character is marrying a man only for his money.  Which she states many times.  Like, deliberately states that she has no idea why people marry for love, they should only marry for money.  And she plays a ditz the whole time.  Ugh.  I guess I just had higher hopes for Marilyn but I'm sure this movie was a huge crowd pleaser back then.  It had pretty women singing and dancing and I'm sure it was funny too.  Just not now.  The one redeeming thing in the whole movie was Marilyn's "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" performance.

So this movie came on the other night and we weren't doing anything else so we figured we'd tune in.  Whitney's voice was amazing, of course.  The movie was pretty good.  Of course Denzel brought his A-game.  It was pretty cool to see Whitney and Denzel from like 16 years ago, they looked so much younger (duh).  So the premise is that Whitney is the wife of a struggling preacher.  And Denzel is the preacher's guardian angel.  Except that Denzel kinda develops a thing for Whitney(?).  John and I were confused and thought it was a little inappropriate that an angel from God develops a crush on the wife of the man he's been sent to help.  Hmmm...in the end God sent down some thunder as a response to Denzel having feelings for Whitney.  Fair enough, right?  Weird.  I digress...it was a good movie.

1 comment:

ABby said...

9 to 5 was on tv on Saturday and kept distracting me from my cleaning ;)