Sunday, February 19, 2012

book reviews

I wasn't crazy(totally intentional) about this book.  I guess I felt like I knew most of the concepts and it wasn't that riveting.  When I read a book about faith I want to be challenged and I didn't really get that from this book.  I also felt like the author was very black and white with most of the concepts and I personally don't view my faith that way.  I'm not totally ruling this book out though, it did have some good concepts in it and maybe you enjoy it.  2 out of 5 stars.

This book was pretty good, maybe a little cheesy but still good.  It's set in Ireland.  A man donates blood and shortly after a woman receives a blood transfusion, which contains his blood (gasp!).  She starts to have memories of things she's never seen (his memories, gasp!) and spouts out information that she didn't know a week before (all stuff he knows, double gasp!).  Haha.  I found this in the $3.99 or less section of Kindle books so that was pretty telling.  Not the best thing I've ever read but still decent.  3 out of 5 stars.

This book was sweet.  Also a Kindle $3.99 or less find.  It's about a man who has everything and then loses most of it.  It's also about a dog that was bred and brought up in a dog fighting ring.  Some people rescue him from that hell (don't even get me started on dog fighting) and he ends up in a shelter.  Some stuff happens, then the dog ends up with the man that "lost it all" and he becomes a better man and the dog has a better life...it's pretty sweet.  Maybe I cried a bit during a few parts.  You should read the book, if you're a dog person you should definitely read this book.  Pulls on your heart strings.  It crossed my mind that if someone ever stole my Dixie and put her in a dog fighting ring they would literally have hell to pay (and maybe even a little more).  Don't mess with this mama and her pup. 3 out of 5 stars.

I found this in the free section of Kindle books (do we see a theme here?).  It was pretty good for being free and all.  It's your basic "woman in her 30s has a crumbling marriage to a guy who kinda sucks and she forgets who she really is, so she has to search for her true self and figure out what to do about her marriage" along with some other drama thrown into the mix.  I liked the characters, the dialogue and the setting (Texas!).  But a nice little surprise was that it's a Christian fiction book so it had a positive twist on it.  Pretty good read, nothing mind blowing but entertaining and a bit thought provoking nonetheless.  3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: