Thursday, February 2, 2012

movies, lately

Y'all, I wanted to like this movie.  Like, I really, really wanted to love this movie.  I mean because it has DOLLY freaking PARTON and Queen Latifah in it!!  It was supposed to be amazing!  But it wasn't.  It really, really wasn't.  I feel like I'm committing treason stating that I didn't like it.  Because I LOVE Dolly.  A lot.  But honestly, half the time I didn't know what was going on or what the plot was or why they were doing whatever the heck they were doing.  I'll be the first to admit it when I don't like something but I really had to dig deep in myself to admit to my friend that I wasn't impressed.  The ending performance (which I couldn't find on youtube so I could show y'all, sorry) redeemed about 30% of the awfulness of the movie.  There, I said it and I wipe my hands of this movie.  Sigh.

Now, this movie I really liked.  I really like Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen. They were great together.  The movie is about a 27 year old guy who is diagnosed with cancer and the way he and his friend deal with it.  This is a true story and the guy diagnosed with cancer (Gordon-Levitt) is Seth Rogen's friend in real life.  And I'm pretty sure Seth Rogen is playing himself in the movie (of course they all have different names).  Did that make sense?  Hope so.  But really, it's sad (of course) but also funny, clever and witty(sounds redundant but whatevs).  I definitely recommend it!

No comments: