Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012

So I don't do New Years resolutions because honestly, they're overrated and I always seem to fail at them.  So why set myself up for failure year after year?  Exactly.  So this year I came up with a plan in October/November. It was to go through the holidays enjoying the food that you enjoy once a year but not go insanely insane with the consumption.  I mean there was definitely a level of insanity, no one in their right mind eats that many sweets and carbs just 'cause.  So I balanced it with some fruits and veggies and a constant amount of exercise.  Then around the start of the new year (read: holidays are over, this did not begin just because of January 1) I would go back to healthy ways and working out more consistently.   So...yeah, great.

Then I came across something one of my friends posted.  She accepted a challenge to list 5 things she didn't hate about herself.  Before I went to bed that night I decided to do the same in my own (personal) journal.  And it.was.tough.  Now I don't hate myself but it's really hard to list 5 things that you don't hate about yourself.  You don't want to be vain.  You don't want to be self-righteous.  It was awkward and hard.  And I hated that.  It shouldn't be hard to list things that you like about yourself, right?  Try to do it.  And if you can and it comes easy then I'm real proud of you, like really. 

So here's my list of things I don't hate about myself:
1.(to borrow a phrase from my friend) my ability to sense others' needs and feelings
2. my honesty/bluntness
3. my sense of style and what looks good/doesn't look good on me
4. my patience
5. my sassiness

And after being upset about how long it took to come up with those things I declared that 2012 will be the year that I will (and I say this in the most selfless way possible) learn to love myself.  I mean I can be pretty stinkin' hard on myself and I'm willing to bet that a lot of you can too.  And I think it's probably just not worth it.  I mean, what's the point?  Yes, we push ourselves to be better people and to accomplish more but I know I push myself beyond that point and that's not cool. I came across this awhile ago on Pinterest and it kinda stuck with me.


Soooo that was a deep post.  I don't like going too deep on the blog because I like to keep it lighthearted and whatnot but I just felt like sharing that with y'all.  I encourage you to list 5 things you don't hate about yourself, just in your head or on a piece of paper or whatever...you don't have to post it to the world unless you want to, which is cool too :)  Here's to 2012!

1 comment:

P Duvall said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I couldn't agree with this post more! LOVE YOU!