Thursday, September 8, 2011

book report

Here are some of the books I've been reading as of late: 

I liked this book, it was very interesting and pretty cute too.  Also, the author has a great sense of humor and I enjoyed her style of writing.  Quick, easy read.   Here's the gist of it (taken from goodreads.com): 
Not long after Rhoda Janzen turned forty, her world turned upside down. It was bad enough that her brilliant husband of fifteen years left her for Bob, a guy he met on Gay.com, but that same week a car accident left her with serious injuries. What was a gal to do? Rhoda packed her bags and went home. This wasn’t just any home, though. This was a Mennonite home. While Rhoda had long ventured out on her own spiritual path, the conservative community welcomed her back with open arms and offbeat advice. (Rhoda’s good-natured mother suggested she date her first cousin—he owned a tractor, see.) It is in this safe place that Rhoda can come to terms with her failed marriage; her desire, as a young woman, to leave her sheltered world behind; and the choices that both freed and entrapped her.
Loved, loved, LOVED this book.  Like, I couldn't put it down for a few days straight because it was so good!  I've enjoyed every Elin Hilderbrand book I've read thus far and this one definitely didn't disappoint.  Actually, I think I may have liked it more that the other two I've read because the story line was a tad different.  Usually her books are told from only female points of view and the stories revolve primarily around said females.  This book is about a group of close knit friends (4 married couples and their families) and it begins after one couple has mysteriously died while sail boating.  You go through all of the drama of the aftermath with the other three couples and the stories that unfold are full of twists and very interesting.  Hilderbrand always seems to throw a lot of curve balls, which I totally appreciate.  Highly recommend.  Also, once you start reading it, it will be hard to put down.

I just did not like this book.  I found it to be very depressing and I was pissed that almost every chapter was about a completely different person.  And only a few of the stories kind of connected throughout, but not really.  Like the main character of chapter 1 would maybe be mentioned in chapter 13.  This book received a lot of praise, I think it's even on Oprah's book list or something, so maybe I'm just missing something completely...

No comments: