Friday, February 11, 2011

mujaddara

This is a tasty, tasty Lebanese dish that I adopted from the family that I nanny for. Things I love about this recipe:

1. very tasty
2. very easy
3. cheap to make
4. vegetarian (I like variety :)
5. leftovers are versatile and you can create other things with them

So here goes...

1. 1 cup of lentils with 2 cups of water, let it reach a boil then
simmer on low for 15 minutes until tender
2. add 1/4 cup of rice
3. let simmer for 10-15 minutes
4. season with salt and pepper
5. cut 1 onion and cook in olive oil on the side. when golden brown,
add to rice & lentils.

optional: fry more onions and add as a garnish

Also, it is traditionally served with a salad which I find very delicious but I knew John wouldn't like, so I served it with this sauce on the side.

No comments: