Saturday, December 18, 2010

white chocolate-peppermint scones



Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't like white chocolate. I don't even consider it chocolate. So you can quote me on this: these scones are ahhhhmaaaazingggg! I don't know if it's the peppermint, the Christmas cheer floating around in my head or what, but these things are wonderful! I've given the mix in a jar to a few family members and friends but this is the first that I've tried it. Let's just say I couldn't eat just one after they were finished baking, oops!


waiting to get their turn in the oven


just done!


let's plate those pretty things!


what number scone is that? hmm...i'm not telling :)

White Chocolate-Peppermint Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. all-vegetable shortening
3/4 cup white-chocolate morsels
2 tbsp. crushed peppermints
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in chocolate and peppermints.
2. Add buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla extract, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2 in. thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter (I used a wine glass), cut out scones. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned. (side note: I ended up baking mine for 11 minutes, I guess my oven is a beast)

1 comment: